It’s by far the hottest summer here in New York, where I live. And in this heat, I doubt any of us are in the mood to spend a lot of time in the kitchen to make something healthy.
These are the days that I look for simple and easy recipes to keep me fueled. In the summer, I usually gravitate towards meals that are light and refreshing—I’m sure I’m not the only one.
Eating healthy in the summer heat is just one of the reasons I think you’ll love this grilled salmon and quinoa salad infused with cannabidiol (CBD). If you’re trying to avoid red meat, consider salmon. Not only is it great due to its high nutritional value, but salmon is also the perfect fish to grill and cooks up pretty quickly.
Meanwhile, quinoa is one of my go-to superfoods that’s so easy to prepare. Plus, I love the hint of nutty flavor that it has. (Side note: It also makes a good porridge ... just sayin’.) It also cooks faster than brown rice and most other grains do. This is why it’s my first choice of carbohydrate when I don’t want to spend a lot time in the kitchen.
Meanwhile, incorporating just a few drops of your favorite CBD tincture into this recipe will help increase its nutritional profile.
As a cancer survivor, natural food chef and fitness specialist, I pay extra close attention to what I put in my body—and you should, too. Remember that when you’re considering which CBD tincture to buy, just as you do with food, read the labels. Make sure there’s nothing questionable in the ingredients list and if in doubt, don’t be afraid to contact the company to ask for lab test results so you know exactly what’s in your tincture.
Besides CBD, this recipe boasts a number of nutritional ingredients including:
- Quinoa: An ancient grain originating in South America around 4,000 years ago, quinoa is high in protein, fiber, magnesium, phosphorus and iron. Considered a superfood, quinoa is the perfect substitute for any other grain or carb.
- Salmon: This widely available fish is high in omega 3s, which is beneficial for skin, nails, hair and most importantly, the brain. And if you’re low in vitamin D, consider adding salmon to your shopping list. Try to buy wild salmon, as opposed to farmed—aka Atlantic—salmon, whenever possible for a more nutrient-rich fish.
- Scallions: A member of the onion family, scallions are low in calories, and contain tons of phytonutrients and potassium.
Ingredients for Grilled Salmon With CBD-Infused Quinoa Salad
- 4 4-oz pieces of salmon
- Avocado oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups quinoa (dry)*
- 2 cups water
- 2 green scallions, sliced thin
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 handful of arugula
- 1 tbsp truffle oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 mL CBD tincture of your choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
*Leftover quinoa without dressing keeps well, refrigerated for up to 5 days in an airtight container. So, feel free to make extra to have on hand for your next meal. Just make sure to cool completely before storing.
How to Make Grilled Salmon With CBD-Infused Quinoa Salad
- In a medium pot, add water and bring to a boil. Add the quinoa, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until the water is absorbed, about 15–20 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, pre-heat the grill to medium heat.
- Salt each piece of salmon on both sides and rub it with avocado oil.
- Brush the grill grates with a little oil to prevent sticking. Place the salmon on the grill and cook for about 3–5 minutes while covered, depending on the size and thickness. It’s done when it flakes easily with a fork and is still pink in the middle.
- When the quinoa’s done, set aside off heat for another 5 minutes. Then uncover and fluff with fork.
- Whisk together the truffle oil, lemon juice, CBD, salt and pepper in a small jar or bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, arugula, scallions, red peppers and oil mixture, and toss until the salad ingredients are fully combined.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top salad with the grilled salmon. Serve and enjoy.
Photo credit: Tito Dudley aka. Chef T
Want to try CBD, but don’t know where to start? Shop our selection of high-quality, lab-tested CBD products and have them shipped to your door. And if you have questions about CBD, ask them and our community will answer.