Peanut butter frosting sounds like a decadent concoction that you shouldn’t eat very often. But this recipe actually has some healthy ingredients, like natural sweeteners (honey or maple syrup, depending on what you choose) and the peanut butter, which is loaded with healthy fats and protein.
I’ve researched a number of ways to make cannabis-infused peanut butter. Honestly, it’s not a perfect fit because there’s no actual butter in peanut butter and there’s natural oil already in the nuts.
The best way to infuse marijuana into peanut butter is to make cannabis-infused coconut oil first. Then, you have your infused base that can mix really well with your peanut butter—store bought or homemade.
Read your labels carefully if you’re buying peanut butter (or any other kind of nut butter if you’re allergic to peanuts) from the supermarket as some can be loaded with sugar and extra ingredients you may not want to consume.
Choose the right kind of peanut butter and you’ll get tons of healthful ingredients, like:
And coconut oil is a favorite ingredient of health-conscious folks because it may:
- Help with weight loss
- Aid in controlling blood sugar
- Keep hearts healthy
Plus, the fats in the peanut butter and coconut oil are important for the cannabis, too. Cannabinoids are lipophilic, meaning they have an affinity for fats. So, your body needs fat to absorb the healing cannabinoids in marijuana edibles. For that reason, none of your cannabis-infused foods should be fat free.
I think this cannabis-infused peanut butter frosting is ideal for a number of dishes. It’s versatile and you can use it:
- On muffins
- As the filling for macaroons
- Mixed into your morning oatmeal
- Spread on toast or graham crackers
Choose Your Method for Infusing Peanut Butter With Marijuana
Now you have two choices when it comes to making the peanut butter: the easy way and the hard way.
The Easy Way to Make Cannabis-Infused Peanut Butter
All you have to do is stir your cannabis coconut oil into a jar of store-bought peanut butter:
- Take a jar of your favorite peanut butter and your cannabis-infused coconut oil
- Measure your oil, you want one dose per approximately 2 tbsp of peanut butter.
- Stir a lot
You now have cannabis-infused peanut butter. It will be a bit more oily than usual, but good peanut butter is a little oily and needs to be stirred when bought anyway.
Remember to stir again if the oil settles, or risk some very strong and some not very strong areas of your edible. If the peanut butter is too oily for you then you can consider making stronger (more concentrated) coconut oil so you need to add less of it to the peanut butter.
The Hard Way to Make Cannabis-Infused Peanut Butter
For this method, you make your own peanut butter and add in the infused coconut oil as you make it.
- 15 oz roasted peanuts (you can do this yourself if you wish or buy roasted peanuts)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 12 doses of cannabis-infused coconut oil (yields approx. 1 1/2 cups or 24 tbsp; 2 tbsp makes up one dose)
Use your own judgement for this, how much peanut butter do you want to be in a dose? If you like thick peanut butter on your toast, for example, maybe lower the oil. Or do you like a thin spread? Simply add more oil. It depends what you want to use your cannabis-infused peanut butter for, but this is a good, rough rule.
Remember everyone is different when it comes to marijuana edibles. Listen to what your body says, and above all don’t forget: You can always add more, but you can’t add less.
- Put the peanuts, salt and honey into a food processor.
- Blitz it for one minute.
- Scrape down the sides.
- Process again for 1–2 minutes. During the second blitzing, add the oil slowly and continue until smooth.
The Inspiration Behind This Cannabis-Infused Peanut Butter Frosting
I’m a huge fan of Stella Parks or Bravetart as she’s also known. I was inspired by her peanut butter frosting recipe when whipping up my cannabis-infused version. If you like this one, she also has a wonderful desserts cookbook, also called Bravetart, which you should check out.
Ingredients for Cannabis-Infused Peanut Butter Frosting
- 4 oz butter*
- 4 1/2 oz peanut butter*
- 1 oz honey (maple syrup also works, or even molasses)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 oz powdered sugar
*You can either sub out part of the butter for cannabutter or some of the peanut butter for your infused version—or you can use a little bit of both. The possibilities are endless and it’s up to you, just remember to keep track of how much of the infused ingredients you use so you can more accurately dose your edibles.
How to Make Cannabis-Infused Peanut Butter Frosting
- Combine everything except the sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Using the paddle attachment, mix on medium for 3 minutes.
- Reduce speed to mix and add the powdered sugar slowly, a little bit at a time.
- Once everything is in the bowl, go back to medium speed for about another 3–4 minutes until the frosting is creamy and light. Stop and scrap the sides of the bowl as needed to ensure everything is mixed thoroughly.
Whichever way you choose, remember edibles have a lag time before you feel the effects, so start low and go slow. Wait at least an hour before deciding if you want to eat more.
Photo credit: Little_Desire/Shutterstock.com