Hi there! There was a very recently published randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study (the gold-standard of study design) which found that in humans:
- THCV significantly decreased fasting plasma glucose and improved pancreatic β-cell (insulin secreting cell) function
- CBD reduced a hormone called resistin, which has been shown to increase LDL (bad cholesterol) -CBD increased glucose-dependent-insulinotropic peptide, which is a hormone that enhances the release of insulin following the intake of food. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27573936 For more information on THCV: https://www.hellomd.com/health-wellness/5a8db389f24d1300077ccb5a/psychoactive-thcv-the-cannabinoid-that-kills-your-appetite
Furthermore, prolonged administration of THC, in both humans and experimental animals, results in the lowering of both blood pressure and heart rate. Animal studies suggest that this may be due to a reduction in adrenergic tone, which is also how beta-blockers, such as metoprolol, work as anti-hypertensives. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2228270/#R11 Also, a study published last year found that a 600mg dose of CBD reduced blood pressure while resting, as well as when under physical or mental stress. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5470879/#B7 Diabetes raises the risk of heart disease, stroke, kidney disease and other health problems; high blood pressure significantly raises those risks.
***You should inform your primary care physician about your plan to try cannabis as an adjunct to your current medication(s)—cannabis should be used as an adjunct to your current medications unless your primary care physician approves otherwise; it would be a good idea to compare your post-meal blood glucose with and without the CBD product—meaure blood glucose two hours after a meal.
Care By Design offers several different delivery methods, offered in multiple ratios; they also exclusively carry "whole plant" products. https://www.projectcbd.org/science/cannabis-pharmacology/single-compound-vs-whole-plant-cbd The 18:1 products at https://www.cbd.org/ would be a great choice.
- Each drop contains 0.38mg of CBD and 0.02mg of THC.
- take 25 drops (10mg CBD, 0.5mgTHC) about 20minutes before each meal.
- take one tab (10mg CBD, 0.5mgTHC) about 20 minutes before each meal.
Otherwise, with any other CBD or high CBD/low THC product,
- take 10mg of CBD about 20 minutes before each meal.
I hope this helps!