There's perhaps nothing better than biting into a gooey, warm and delicious chocolate chip cookie. For anyone who uses medicinal marijuana, making appetizing recipes is one of the most enjoyable and convenient ways to get a dose of your cannabis. Here’s a simple recipe for marijuana cookies—including instructions on how to make the key ingredient, cannabutter.
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Before Making Your Marijuana Cookies, First Make Cannabutter
The key ingredient in marijuana chocolate chip cookies is cannabis-infused butter, also known as cannabutter. Making cannabutter involves a little bit of time, but it's relatively easy to whip up and is useful for making a wide variety of marijuana edibles, including medicated brownies and other baked goods.
RELATED: MARIJUANA RICE CRISPIE TREATS RECIPE
There are two methods for making cannabutter. This is perhaps the most time-consuming part of making your marijuana chocolate chip cookies as it can take from two to 24 hours, depending on the method you choose. The good news is that once the cannabutter is made, there should be enough to then make multiple batches of these marijuana cookies or other cannabis-infused recipes.
Test your knowledge
Getting Your Ingredients for Your Marijuana Chocolate Chip Cookies
After you’ve prepared the cannabutter, it's time to get the other necessary ingredients together for your cannabis chocolate chip cookies. Overall, this is a relatively easy recipe that should produce about 30 cookies and take about 45 minutes in total, including prep and baking time.
Here are the ingredients necessary to make this marijuana cookies recipe:
- 3/4 cup cannabutter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 bag (12 oz) semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- Optional: 1 cup walnuts, chopped, or 1/2 cup pretzels, crushed, for extra texture
Making Your Marijuana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (turn on the convection setting if the oven has it).
- Next, grease two cookie sheets with normal butter or line them with parchment paper. If you only have one baking sheet, let it cool down completely before using it for the second batch of cookies.
- In a small saucepan, melt the cannabutter and then allow it to cool down slightly. Alternatively, place the butter in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in bursts of 30 seconds until it's completely melted.
- Place the eggs, brown and white sugars, and vanilla in a large bowl. Add the melted butter and whisk until the contents are smooth.
- Then, in a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda and salt. Once the dry ingredients are incorporated, slowly stir the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients. Do not overmix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and the other optional ingredients, if using.
- Scoop out about 1/4 cup of cookie dough for each cookie and drop onto the prepared pans. Ensure there are about 2–3 inches between each marijuana cookie.
- Bake cookies for 12 to 16 minutes. Cookies baked for shorter periods of time will be chewier while cookies baked longer will be crunchier. Wait for the pan to cool for a few minutes before you transfer the marijuana cookies to a rack for cooling.
- Store the marijuana chocolate chip cookies in a sealed container. They should last for about five days.
Ultimately, this cannabis cookie recipe is designed to give you the perfect marijuana chocolate chip cookie. As medical cannabis consumers increasingly embrace elements of the foodie movement, expect more interesting and useful recipes incorporating cannabis on the horizon.
Photo credit: Jamison Judd
If you're new to cannabis and want to learn more, take a look at our Cannabis 101 post. HelloMD can help you get your medical marijuana recommendation; it's easy, private and 100% online.