DIY Recipe: CBD-Infused Curried Butternut Squash Soup
11 months ago
A warm, curried butternut squash soup on a cold day, infused with cannabidiol (CBD) oil, makes a healthy, delicious, exotic meal that much more special. With so many of the fall/winter flavors bursting through this soup, it will keep you coming back for more.
The simplest way to make this dish is to purée your butternut squash in a medium pot, along with some coconut milk, locally sourced maple syrup (or any sweetener of your choice) and some popular fall/winter spices such as:
And let’s not forget this special ingredient, CBD oil.
This recipe will definitely satisfy the palettes of many, even those with specific dietary needs such as:
- Paleo lovers
- Whole30 fans
That’s because this recipe is completely:
- Dairy free
- Gluten free
- Soy free
- Nut free
A Breakdown of the Healthy Elements in Butternut Squash Soup
Butternut squash soup, with the addition of coconut milk, makes a simple and delicious combination full of tremendous flavor. Normally, you’d garnish this healthy soup with some sort of nut, but we’re switching it up by topping it off with sautéed kale and hemp seeds.
This hearty soup is packed with all of the nutritional benefits your body craves for and needs. It contains:
- Tons of calcium from the kale
- High amounts of protein and a good balance of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids from the hemp seeds
Butternut squash itself is equipped with so many nourishing ingredients including, just to name a few:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B6
Although butternut squash and kale are super foods in their own right, I’m even more fascinated with the benefits of CBD oil and all of its incredible health attributes. As a cancer survivor, natural food chef and fitness specialist, I’m constantly looking for unique ways to add superfoods such as CBD oil to my recipes.
CBD: The Cannabinoid That Doesn’t Produce a High
CBD doesn’t make consumers feel high like THC does. And CBD properly extracted from responsibly grown hemp plants has many health benefits such as:
- Powerful anti-inflammatory properties that regulate muscle pain
- Improved brain health
- Support for your body’s stress responses
- Cancer-fighting properties
The list continues to grow and evolve as we learn more about CBD and build the appropriate data to help us understand this therapeutic compound.
We all have our own particular ailments that we’re suffering from, and CBD may be able to help with many of them. With the industry becoming more saturated with this amazing product, you want to make sure you’re buying a safe, effective and high-quality CBD oil from a company you can trust.
As a cancer survivor, it’s extremely important that I consume and recommend only the highest- quality CBD products on the market. Always make sure your CBD oil comes from hemp grown in the U.S. or Europe and that the company lab tests all of its products.
Ingredients for CBD-Infused Curried Butternut Squash Soup
Recipe Serves: 6–8
- 3 15-oz. cans of butternut squash (you can also use fresh squash if you prefer)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large sweet onion, medium diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 15-oz can coconut milk (or your choice of dairy milk)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar (or honey if not vegan)
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cardamon
- 6 mL hemp-derived CBD oil of your choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Sautéed Kale Hemp Seed Topping (optional)
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped kale, washed and dried)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (or olive oil)
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make CBD-Infused Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Scoop out your puréed butternut squash into a high-speed blender.
- In a medium saucepan, turn the heat to medium, then add olive oil, onion and garlic. Sauté for approximately 2–3 minutes, or until slightly translucent. Then pour into blender.
- Add coconut milk, vegetable broth, maple syrup, curry, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom to blender, and blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a medium-sized pot and add CBD oil. Warm over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally for 7–12 minutes. Use a hand emersion blender to smooth out the consistency to your desired texture if needed.
- Taste and adjust salt and seasonings to your liking. This can be served as is, or with the sautéed kale and hemp seed topping.
- For the kale and hemp seed topping: In a small skillet, over medium-low heat, add olive oil and garlic; sauté for about 1–2 minutes.
- Add kale, salt and pepper to taste, and mix.
- Cover with lid for 1 minute or until kale is wilted to your desired texture. Turn heat off and add hemp seeds.
- Toss to coat and set it aside for butternut squash soup topping.
- Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for 1–2 months.
I hope you enjoy this CBD-infused curried butternut squash soup as much as I did.
Photo credit: Tito Dudley aka Chef T
Want to try CBD, but don’t know where to start? Shop our selection of high-quality, lab-tested CBD products and have them shipped to your door. And if you have questions about CBD, ask them and our community will answer.