DIY Recipe: CBD-Infused Buttermilk Quinoa Waffles
3 months ago
I don’t know about you, but I’m prepping all of my ingredients for tomorrow morning, to celebrate one of my favorite days: National Waffle Day. It’s fun to venture out and explore some of the restaurants that are celebrating too, but that can get expensive really fast.
So, I decided to share my secret twists on making these tasty and delicious waffles. This recipe will change the way you think heathy waffles should look and taste. Actually, I’ll tell you now: The secrets are quinoa flour and CBD oil.
I love quinoa for its unique, nutty profile and nutritional benefits. Many folks tend to use this superfood in salad recipes, but that’s not the only place it can shine. You can also use quinoa in many other savory or sweet dishes—Iike waffles.
Most of the ingredients you’ll use in this recipe can most likely be found at your local grocer. The bourbon barrel-aged maple syrup may be the only ingredient that’s challenging to find. So, I made it easier for you by personally creating Chef T’s list of maple syrups on Amazon, which you can choose from, just in case you have some trouble finding it—believe me, it’s worth it.
Nutritional Highlights of CBD-Infused Buttermilk Quinoa Waffles
This waffle recipe is:
And it’s chock full of nutrients:
- Quinoa: This ancient grain is high in protein. Did you know that 1 cup of quinoa has roughly 9 grams of protein? If you’re considering decreasing or eliminating meat from your diet, you may want to consider adding this superfood to your eating plan so that you’re still getting the amount of protein you need.
- Hemp seeds: These crunchy seeds are an excellent source of protein, fiber and fatty acids.
- Bananas: Coming from the largest herbaceous, flowering plant, bananas are high in potassium, contain good levels of protein and fiber, and also provide the amino acid L-tryptophan, which helps with relaxation.
Ingredients for CBD-Infused Buttermilk Quinoa Waffles
- 2 2/3 cups quinoa flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tbsp grass-fed butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 10 mL CBD tincture
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Hemp seeds
- Bourbon maple syrup
How to Make CBD-Infused Buttermilk Quinoa Waffles
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Place all of the wet ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Using a standing or hand mixer, blend the wet ingredients until fully combined.
- In a separate medium-size bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients evenly, using a whisk.
- Continue to mix the wet ingredients, while slowly adding the dry ingredients until fully combined.
- Ladle the batter onto the waffle iron and cook until gold brown or to your desired texture.
- Serve immediately with your toppings of choice.
- If you have extra waffles left over, you can store them in an airtight container in the freezer to enjoy later.
Waffle tips: Keeping the temperature on your waffle iron between low to medium assures a softer and lighter waffle. A temperature between medium to high can make a crispier and more golden-colored waffle. I recommend playing with the temperature to make sure you cook the waffles to your liking.
Photo credit: Tito Dudley aka Chef T
Want to try CBD, but don’t know where to start? Shop our selection of high-quality, lab-tested CBD products and have them shipped to your door. And if you have questions about CBD, ask them and our community will answer.