DIY Recipe: Cannabis-Infused Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream
A year ago
Summer is here. And when the weather’s warm, there’s one comfort food on everyone’s mind: ice cream. Many of us have childhood memories of running out to the ice cream truck after hearing its siren song or stopping at the ice cream shop on a hot day.
This cool, creamy and refreshing treat feels just right on a hot summer’s day—but it isn’t always the healthiest option. The more we learn about healthy eating, the more people are cutting ice cream’s main ingredients—namely dairy and sugar—completely out of their diet. While turning down ice cream will probably improve your health and give you more energy to tackle your summer plans, on the flipside it can also leave a sad void in your summer fun.
If you’ve cut ice cream out of your diet, don’t worry. We have a dairy alternative: avocados.
Why Do Avocados Make a Good Ice Cream Base?
Avocado ice cream might not sound good at first, but avocados actually make the perfect healthy base for an alternative ice cream. They’re full of healthy fats, which gives them a smooth and creamy texture that’s very similar to ice cream. They also have a mild flavor, which is easy to cover with rich and decadent chocolate. Add some honey, vanilla and salt, and you won’t even remember the avocados.
This marijuana-infused, avocado-based ice cream is an incredibly rich, creamy and delicious option. It’s also something that can be enjoyed by those on diets that are:
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- Egg free
- Nut free
- Paleo friendly
- Autoimmune safe
- Vegan (if you swap out the honey for a sweetener of your choice; agave nectar is a good option)
While it isn’t traditional ice cream, it sure tastes like it is, making it hard to distinguish from a rich and creamy chocolate ice cream. You might even find that you prefer this lighter version. It’s so tasty, you’ll have to keep reminding yourself that you aren’t cheating on your diet. And with cannabis mixed right in, you can medicate while you enjoy this decadent summer dessert. Before you know it, you’ll be reliving your favorite summertime ice cream memories, and you won’t even have to worry about the stomachache afterwards.
Try it out today and see how healthy—and tasty—your summer can be.
Ingredients for Cannabis-Infused Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream
- 15 mL of oil-based cannabis tincture of your choice
- 3 large avocados
- 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 4 tbsp of honey or a sweetener of your choice
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 1/2 tsp of salt
How to Make Cannabis-Infused Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream
- Using a cutting board and knife, peel your avocados and cut them up into small chunks.
- Add avocados and the rest of your ingredients to a blender.
- Blend ingredients together until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Using a spatula, pour the avocado mixture into a sealable glass container.
- Seal the container and place in the freezer. Set a timer for 4 hours.
- After the first hour, check on your ice cream and whisk it with a fork.
- For the remaining 3 hours, check on your ice cream every 20 minutes. Each time, whisk it with a fork so that it will freeze evenly.
- After the 4 hours are up, your ice cream will be ready to eat. Let sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes, then scoop with an ice-cream scoop to serve.
- If you’re not eating it right away, your avocado ice cream can stay in the freezer until you’re ready for it. Just make sure to eat it within two weeks for freshness.