When sweet potato fries started appearing as the preferred sidekick to burgers a few years ago, I was unimpressed. Too sweet, I always thought. But fortunately, the popularity of sweet potatoes have allowed the tuber to escape its culinary confines as either topped with marshmallows or prepared as fries.
Today, many Americans know that sweet potatoes are chock full of fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C and potassium. Sweet potatoes also:
- Help balance blood sugar levels
- Improve brain function
- Strengthen immunity
- Assist with weight loss
- Bolster vision health
Additionally, sweet potatoes are non-allergenic and easy to digest without spiking blood sugar. For those following a paleo or elimination diet, sweet potatoes are generally a safe and nutritious carbohydrate.
I’ve found that sweet potatoes’ sweetness pairs well with the savory flavor of black beans and the heat from a quality salsa. I like serving them with steamed broccoli or a green salad for a healthy weeknight dinner, which takes under an hour to cook.
This recipe will also gift you with a bonus: leftover cannabis-infused sour cream. If you enjoy lightly medicated savory snacks, use the vegan sour cream as a dip for raw veggies or crackers another time.
Ingredients for Cannabis-Infused Sour Cream
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed (about 1 tbsp juice)
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water, more as needed
- 2 mL 2 dropperful cannabis tincture
How to Make Cannabis-Infused Sour Cream
- Place raw cashews in a bowl and cover with scalding hot water. Allow to soak, uncovered, at least 2 hours. Drain.
- Combine cashews in the bowl of your food processor with lemon juice nutritional yeast, salt, 1/2 cup water and the marijuana tincture. Blend until smooth.
- Label the sour cream as medicated and refrigerate.
Ingredients for Southwestern Baked Sweet Potatoes With Cannabis-Infused Sour Cream
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 1/4 cup cannabis-infused sour cream
- 1 can of black beans (15 oz), rinsed
- 1 ear of fresh corn, cooked and cut from the cob
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup of your favorite salsa
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
How To Make Southwestern Baked Sweet Potatoes With Cannabis-Infused Sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Prick sweet potatoes all over with a fork.
- Bake on a cookie sheet or roasting pan until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Allow potatoes to cool to the touch before cutting lengthwise across each potato, letting hot steam escape.
- Fill each sweet potato with 1/2 cup of black beans.
- Layer on thin slices of avocado, then top with corn and finish with a large dollop of cannabis-infused sour cream and salsa.
- Finish with freshly chopped cilantro.
Photo credit: Steve Johnson