Let’s get our crunch on with some hemp CBD-spiked granola that will keep you energized and focused, whether for your next gym workout or if you need some fuel during a beautiful 10k nature hike.
This CBD granola is the answer to your energy prayers. I know what you want to ask, and no, this granola won’t make you feel high—we have other medicinal goals in mind.
Let me explain: This granola has the right amount of fat and carbs to give you enough energy to sustain you during your workout. It also has protein from hemp seeds to help build and maintain those strong muscles you’ve been working so hard on.
There are a few things that make this granola unique and healthy. I used ghee (which is clarified butter) instead of butter for a great, healthier alternative. And using the smoked sea salt instead of your normal sea salt adds another level of delicious flavor.
Using these two ingredients may be pretty adventurous for some eaters. However, this granola also contains the right amount of sweetness for any palette, by using maple syrup. Between the maple syrup and the smokiness from sea salt, this granola really delivers a tasty, sweet and savory experience.
These Granola Ingredients Pack a Healthy Punch
The hemp seeds in this recipe will not only provide you with protein, but they’ll also strike a good balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
If you’re lacking fiber in your diet, the oats will definitely help you there, and it will also provide additional protein.
I decided to add chia seeds to this recipe, because they contain healthful ingredients like:
- Vitamins A, B, E and D
One of my favorite chia seed benefits is their ability to help maintain hydration, which is especially important during workouts or other strenuous activities.
If you’re convinced about trying this hemp CBD granola, but don’t want to eat it on its own, good news: There are so many ways to enjoy it. Consider having it as a topping on your favorite breakfast meal like:
- Quinoa cereal
- Over some high-fiber fruits such as strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or raspberries
Although I used a nonflavored CBD oil for this recipe, I urge you to get creative and try using other flavors of this superfood ingredient. You could go for something like a lemon ginger or peppermint flavored CBD oil for a twist.
If you’re looking for a gluten-free, soy-free and nut-free granola, this recipe has you covered.
This granola can also work well for people keeping their diet free of dairy, too, because ghee, contains no lactose or milk solids. But if you prefer something different, you can easily substitute the ghee with coconut oil.
Ingredients for Crunchy & Delicious Hemp CBD Granola
- 4 cups gluten-free oats
- 2 cups coconut flakes
- 1 cup hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp ghee (which is clarified butter)
- 8 ml CBD oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Pinch of smoked sea salt to taste
How to Make Crunchy & Delicious Hemp CBD Granola
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place all dry ingredients except the coconut sugar in a large bowl, and mix until uniform.
- In a small saucepan, over low- to medium-heat, melt the ghee, add the maple syrup, coconut sugar, vanilla extract and CBD oil, and simmer for 2–3 minutes.
- Pour the pan of liquid ingredients over the dry mixture and stir to coat evenly. Spread granola out evenly onto two parchment-lined baking pans. Make sure it’s evenly divided.
- Bake for 10–15 minutes, then stir the mixture.
- Place back in the oven and bake for another 5–10 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes for a delicious crunchy granola. The longer it cools, the better the crunch. Store in an airtight container.
I hope you get your crunch on with this delicious and nutritious hemp CBD granola, and enjoy it as much as I did.
Photo credit: Tito Dudley aka Chef T